Sunday, September 16, 2012

How to Avoid Bug Holes, Pin Holes, and Other Nasty Surface Imperfections in Concrete Countertops

I recently had a question about how to eliminate pin holes or what we call bug holes. Bug holes are problematic for any concrete which needs to be decorative, whether it be an architectural facade or a countertop.
What they are:
Bug holes are entrapped or entrained air pockets. Entrapped air usually comes from the placing technique when you put concrete in the mold. Entrained air is air caught up in the mixing process. The big bubbles are entrapped air. The little bubbles are usually entrained air.

What causes them:
There are really two things that cause bug holes, the placement and the mix. A third consideration is materials seeded in the surface. First, for placement the mix needs to be flowable enough that minor vibration (tapping the surface) will release the entrapped air. Some of the professionals sell and advocate vibrators. These are great but at $500+ don't make much sense. I would suggest starting at one end and pushing the air out as you progress.
Second, if the mix has lots of air in it, you will have lots of very small air bubbles. Typically high amounts of polymer/latex will cause lots of air bubbles. Various companies sell densifier or defoamer or deair-entraining admixtures to add to concrete mixtures. If you need to add these then the mix is already incorrect. I have tried several products and just have been disappointed. Deair-entrainers are materials with very high surface areas to pull out the surfactants (think soap) that cause the air. The problem is that they also reduce the workability. The integral densifiers are silane or siloxane based sealers which make the air bubbles slippery and the thought is that they escape. I have tried these products and they work much better as a sealer than an integral product unless you are looking for chloride resistance like on a bridge deck. That and a little bottle is like $75.
Third, If you put decorative aggregate on the surface of a mold there is always a small air bubble trapped between the mold and aggregate. This mold below had lots of black aggregate combined with poor consolidation to produce lots of bug holes. The amount of slurry required would turn anyone off of concrete countertops. 

How to fix them:
If your concrete is decorative then the bug holes might be interesting. Many exposed concrete building have bug holes on the face which adds texture. On your countertop the bug holes just hold food and are impossible to clean. The only way to fix bug holes is to slurry. My white concrete desk shown below had lots of glass bottles seeded into the surface. Bottles are round and unless the pieces are tiny, have a curved surface which leaves a void. All these voids need to be filled.
 
Step one is to lightly grind the surface to open up any holes that need filling. I like to do a wet sand with a scotch brite pad.  Notice the countertop below, a few bug holes on the top and a bunch on the side.
 
The next step is to slurry. Cheng and a few others sell color matched slurry. I have used Cheng's and I really liked the consistency and the color match was perfect. I could take or leave his concrete mix but the slurry was first class. That being said the consistency and application are crucial. If you look on youtube or get Cheng's DVD for slurry/finishing the consistency is something like this, very thin. This works but takes 2 or 3 coats to fill big holes. The problem is that the surface tension in something this thin will keep it from going in the little pores. You will end up just wiping it over the surface and the little holes keep showing up and laughing at you.
 
Here is the magic trick. I like to mix my slurry thick. Wipe down the surface so it is damp with a clean sponge and then smear the paste on with another sponge. See how it builds on the sponge, this allows you to press it in the void space. I don't care how big the bug hole is, one pass is all it takes. After you slurry there will be material built up on the surface, don't worry. Let everything sit an hour or two and come back with a wet scotch brite pad. Rub the surface down. The material will be hard enough to stay in the void but soft enough to easily be removed from the surface.
 
Here is a recently completed countertop placed with a light grey concrete and slurried with a dark grey. We call this honed gun metal, but it probably should be garage floor. If the slurry was color-matched then everything would be light grey. My thought is that if you want one perfect color, go with laminate.
 
How to eliminate them:
How to eliminate bug holes, there is no perfect way. Consolidate the concrete near the surface as best you can. For a traditional mix I like to place a 1/4 inch and then really work it in with my hands. If you are going to do more than one then GFRC is the way to go. This may be for another series but spraying a face coat eliminates 90% of the bug holes. The mix has no coarse aggregate and is pretty much just fines. The consistency should be enough to easily spray through a gun but stick to a vertical surface. Here is a test shot. Stick to the surface but if you get too much it runs. I spray mine with a normal drywall hopper gun.
If you have specific questions ask. Assuming I get a chance I will try and answer what I can.


9 comments:

  1. Awesome post!

    I went back and looked at my notes for my last mix and realized I had added my SP at a over double the recommended amount (was supposed to add per pound of cement, added per pound of my entire mix) which I'm guessing caused all the water bleed, segregation, and subsequent holes all over the surface. What caused the problems before the admix was probably poor mixing or improper W/C ratio.

    I poured another sample piece last night with a new mix so hopefully I've cured my problems. I'm feeling confident again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this information. I didn't even know you could get concrete nj counter tops. I bet they are super durable, but I'm interested to know the cost. I'll have to check that out, Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll throw this out for what it is worth, I recently started making some integral sinks and what not as test for my bigger project of my kitchen. I played with grout and filling bug holes and veins, but I just wasn't satisfied overall. I took an old trick my dad used to use for garage and basement floors. He would use bondo or filler putty in cracks and voids on the surface, sand them smooth and then paint the entire floor the same color and you never knew it had a crack or hole. Applying this technique, I used acrylic based paints or powder paint (even concrete coloring might work) and mixed it into the bondo for color. The trick is use polyester resin or fiberglass resin to add to your bondo to make it easier to move. I used a 6" metal knife to move it over the surface, trying to make it as thin as possible. Once it hardens use lint free rags (CRUCIAL! I had white bondo turn pink!) and acetone to remove the majority of the excess. Depending on what stage you are on (I did this first before the initial sanding) I was able to use grinding pads and then 150 grit to 240 grit afterwards. This increased some areas that needed more filling, so I did a second pass with the bondo. When it got to a good smooth surface, I went over it again two more times with a different color bondo to make it look like marble. I'll admit, this process was a bit longer than I may have needed it, but the results are amazing. Everyone that has looked at it cannot tell that it is concrete because of the filler I used it really looks like a slab of marble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just keep in mind that standard bondo (The pink stuff) will absorb water over time and expand. This is why cheap repairs on many cars don't last, the filler just falls apart. It is not so much of a concern on countertops, but the coefficient of thermal expansion is very different between concrete and polyester resin. The concrete will shrink and swell with temperature much more than the bondo. Even the best epoxy adhesive don't last that long when attached to concrete in the field.
    jk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had similar problems when smooth my patio walk-through and counter tops houston tx but thanks from your tips, now I know how to avoid this bug holes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the difference between acrylic and non-acrylic slurry?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Acrylic refers to latex acrylic used as a bonding agent in the slurry. When you fill in bug holes you are bonding new concrete to old concrete. The latex has a high tensile strength and improves the adhesion (makes it stick better). Latex also reduces shrinkage. Since paste shrinks much more than either mortar or concrete, large sections of slurry tend to get shrinkage cracking. Latex modified slurries crack less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear all,

    PLEASE HELP!

    I currently run a small set up in the middle east producing GFRC architectural elements and cladding.

    However due to a recent changeover in the management of the factory i have lost a key technical person, which has led me to take on the production process..

    PLEASE help!

    Currently I'm facing 2 serious issues!

    1. Im consistently getting large and small bubbles.. reading your article really helped clear things up (THANK YOU)
    but I'm still unsure of how i can tackle this issue in a cost-effective manner that will complement a fast moving pace of factory production…
    I do not yet have a vibration table, and have been considering manufacturing my own (cheaper of course)… any recommendations and considerations for this??

    2. Im having serious issues with my finish quality..
    I use GRP molds most of the time… and when i do i always have problems with my finish surface and end up hiring a team to come and sand down the surface of all my products before delivery to site… this is causing my severe delays and losses..

    ( just to clear a few points about the GRP molds… I sand them down properly, I try to chamfer or round the edges for easy de-molding, i also use beeswax grease to make de-molding easier.
    Yet i still get a poor finish with many bumps and uneven surfaces….)

    What can i do???

    bear in mind I'm a small set up yet i have fast paced large orders so what ever the solution is, it must be fast and economical)

    Honestly guys i tried everything i could in getting information locally, but every one i speak to is more interested in a consulting fee.. which is fair enough, but I'm not at the level of affording that kind of service…

    Any help would be really appreciated and would mean saving my business from a disaster!

    Thank you in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    My name is Andre from South Africa.
    I cast my tombstones in a mold made of glass and fibre glass.I was casting a stone one day but the bottom of my mold was not smooth so i put a glass that i had at the bottom and when i took it apart it was as smooth as a baby's bum and took little work to polish it .You might try something like this. Just be careful as the glass tends to suck on the concrete just remove slowly.
    Regards
    Andre Steenkamp
    rainbowtombstones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete